My favorite centenarian shared an interesting thought last night.
“Amazing how many troublesome events I have witnessed that have happened to the world. Localized to a degree. A very long list. However, the pandemic is the only event I have experienced that has happened to the whole world at once.”
Mom’s long list:
- The Great Depression.
- World War II topped off with The Nuclear Bomb.
- The Holocaust.
- Never-ending genocide – Cambodia, Rwanda, Serbia, etc.
- Countless wars – Korean, Vietnam, the numerous Middle East wars.
- Memorable historical tipping point events – assassinations (JFK, RFK, MLK, Rabin), 9/11, the Arab Spring, the Berlin Wall, the Cuban missile crisis.
- The Great Recession.
- Migrants drowning in the Mediterranean and washing up on beaches.
- Children separated from their parents at the U.S./Mexico border.
- Mother nature – earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, wild fires, etc.
As she indicated, a very long list. She also added: An unruly era of painful memories! And now we usher in a new era, the COVID World.