U.S. Household Food Insecurity


Background (source: Feeding America):

  • 35 million people in the United States experienced hunger in 2019. 
  • As a byproduct of the pandemic, it is estimated 42 million people may experience food insecurity including a potential 13 million children (note: Households with children are more likely to experience food insecurity. Before the coronavirus pandemic, more than 10 million children live in food-insecure households).

What is the relevancy of sharing the above facts? Bottomline, pre-pandemic, in 2019, 89.5 percent of U.S. households were food secure throughout the year. The remaining 10.5 percent of households were food insecure (definition: disruption of food intake or eating patterns because of lack of money and other resources) at least some time during the year, including 4.1 percent ((5.3 million households) that had very low food security.

The most common cause of food insecurity is low income. Unfortunately, many people in America struggle to meet their basic needs. Lay-offs at work, unexpected car maintenance, or an accident on the job can suddenly force a family to choose between buying food and paying bills. Working families across America face countless situations that can result in food insecurity and hunger.

That’s why many working families, including thousands of households who don’t qualify for federal assistance, visit the Feeding America network of food banks to help make ends meet. The Feeding America network serves nearly every community in the United States, helping more than more than 40 million people.

I am a concerned food futurist. This past year, I have given a lot of thought what my company can do to help people better adapt to the new Covid World, not just the U.S. Food industry which my food marketing company specializes in, but the planet as well. My mantra, To build a better world, start in your community. Living in Portland, ME I learned Maine ranks 18th in the nation in food insecurity. I also became aware of a local organization, Full Plates, an organization on a mission to end food childhood insecurity in Maine. Consequently, I have conceived a fund-raising program to assist Full Plates an organization on a mission to end childhood food insecurity in Maine. I will be contacting friends and family individually with more details.

By clicking on the link below you will be directed to the donations page on Full Plate’s website. Please make note by clicking on the green tab your generous contribution is on behalf of SMARTKETING. Thank you.