Back on this day in 1803, the great American philosopher Ralph Waldo Emerson was born. His primary mantra was about self-reliance – learning to be yourself, practicing making your own judgements and holding your own values. Today I want to share my favorite Waldo quote.
- To laugh often and much;
- To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
- To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
- To appreciate beauty;
- To find the best in others;
- To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch of s redeemed social condition;
- To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.
We all need a little more Emerson these days. Thank you.
Jim Great philosophy to live by.